WHY CHOOSE A PTGA ACCREDITED PROVIDER OR GUIDE?
The PTGA was developed out of a need to train and measure minimum standards of operation and competence for the range of skills a modern polar guide needs to service the demands of a rapidly growing industry and to help protect the environments we work in.
We are a US 501-c6 non-profit Professional Industry Association servicing the competency needs of polar tourism operators, outfitters, field staff and polar guides across all platforms of polar guiding and tourism.
There are a number of good reasons to choose qualified PTGA Guide and/or a PTGA Accredited Provider Company for your holiday or journey in the polar regions:
- PTGA Guides are vetted and qualified by a 3rd party Professional Industry Association set up solely to train and examine guide performance against industry standards.
- Accredited Provider companies work collaboratively with the PTGA, train to industry standards, utilize the PTGA Qualifications Framework and believe in the value of 3rd party vetting of their staff and training systems.
- PTGA guides are assessed by long term industry professionals via performance of skills not just through attendance courses. This allows for thorough examination of all skill areas but also the ability to test judgement and decision making in complex situations – two very important skills for a professional guide working in remote areas.
- All PTGA guides contract to a professional Code of Conduct which includes not only moral and ethical standards but all the requirements of international bodies and associations governing environmental practice, guidelines and operations in the polar regions.
- PTGA guides must revalidate their awards every three years and show proof of continual professional development.
- Any PTGA Accredited Provider Company must have more than 80% of their staff qualified as Polar Tourism Guide (PTGuide) or Senior Polar Tourism Guide (SPTGuide).
OUR ACCREDITED PROVIDER COMPANIES
A Corporate Member of PTGA is vetted by the PTGA for its staff training and development systems. It uses the PTGA Workplace Based Assessment system, collaborates on training advice and resources, aims to have more than 80% of their staff as qualified Polar Guides with PTGA status and actively encourages Continual Profesional Development during work time and outside of it. A Corporate Member may use their PTGA status for marketing and we have a proud and active team:
Aurora Expeditions – Aurora Expeditions specialises in small-ship expedition-style voyages to the polar regions, to Latin America, Wild Scotland, the Norway coast, and the Kimberley coast of north-west Australia. An Australian company founded by acclaimed mountaineer Greg Mortimer and his adventurous wife Margaret Mortimer, Aurora Expeditions celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2017. Aurora Expeditions prides itself on the calibre of its Expedition Team, and its ethos of taking like-minded people to explore the world’s great wildernesses, always with care and safety at the forefront. Aurora’s flagship vessel, the Greg Mortimer, will be in operation from October 2019.